Mechanical and Electrical Engineer from the Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM) and Attorney at Law from the Universidad del Valle de Mexico (UVM).
With 13 years of experience in Intellectual Property, he joined BC&B in 2005 where he has been in charge of the substantive examination, formal examination and filing of patents, utility models and industrial designs.
Areas of Practice:
- Industrial Designs
- Utility Models
- Control and Maintenance of: Plant Varieties, Trademarks, Slogans, Copyrights and Domain Names
Currently he is in charge of the Maintenance of IP rights in Mexico and abroad; the docketing and central control of the firm’s files and the Translation department.
- Mexican Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AMPPI), Patents Committee Chair since 2017
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI), Mexico’s Representative in Designs Committee since 2015
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA). Voting member of the Industrial designs, Emerging Technologies and Latin American practice committees since 2016
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
Awards & Recognitions:
- Mexican IP Star at Managing Intellectual Property since 2017
- WIPR Patent Leader at WIPR since 2016
Other Relevant Activities:
In 2015 he was invited by the Japanese Patent Office (JPO) to attend to the post-graduate course “JPO/IPR Training Course for Practitioners Specializing in Patents (IPPP)” at the Japan Institute for Promoting Invention and Innovation (JIPII), Overseas Human Resources and Industry Development Association (HIDA) and Asia-Pacific Industrial Property Center (APIC).
Octavio is author of several IP articles for international publications including the contribution for Mexico on the book “Design Rights – Functionality and Scope of Protection” published by AIPPI and Wolters Kluwer.
He has been speaker for the subject “Industrial Design protection in Mexico” during the 2016 Pan-American YMC of LES (Ottawa CA) and the 2017 AIPLA Mid-Winter Institute (Ft Lauderdale FL).